“We will not go out on missions like this”

The story below was first published by “Prachatai.com”, the independent website in Thailand. The site has taken a ‘refugee’ URL on ‘Prachatai.net’ since April 8, as it was blacked out by the Thai authority, along with hundreds others.

By courtesy of Prachatai, I post the story here, adding some pictures which I took on April 10, the day of the crackdown which has caused deadly clashes to kill 24 and wounded more than 800.

– Penseur21 –


A Soldier’s Story

Mon, 12/04/2010 – 12:32

This account of events around Ratchadamnoen and Khao San on the night of 10 April was given by a conscript in a phone call to his family. Soldiers have been told not to communicate with the media so this report must remain anonymous.

Thai soldiers were being cheered by anti government 'Red shirts' protesters near Thai Telecom, where thousands of red shirts protested against the black out on its TV, 'P Channel', by the authority. (Photo by Lee Yu Kyung)

Approximately 50 draftees who had not finished basic training were ordered to put on riot gear at dusk on Saturday and were driven to the Ratchadamnoen area. We were not told in advance where we were going or what our objective was. We were equipped with rubber bullets but no gas masks. We had previously received some training in riot control and had manned checkpoints, but in general discipline and leadership required improvement and we were inexperienced.

We quickly found ourselves in a confused fight with the red shirts. We were instructed to fire rubber bullets at the legs of protestors, but were facing bricks, sticks and gunfire. Tear gas was making it difficult to see what was going on. It wasn’t like a video game. There were other units, some from other services, but we saw no coordination among them.

The non-commissioned officer in charge of us was injured and taken away and no one took over. Many of the draftees ran for safety, some leaving behind weapons and other equipment. I was helping to pull wounded comrades out of danger. There were some bad injuries and we thought some people were probably dead. It was a terrifying situation.

Thai military confronted with the anti government 'red shirts' protesters in Bangkok on April 10. The army have blocked the then peaceful protesters as protesters were heading to their main stage, Phan fa bridge earlier. The blockade has caused violent reaction by red shirts, who have had deadly clashes with the military till night. (Photo by Lee Yu Kyung)

Thai military were gearing up to crackdown on anti-government 'red shirts' protesters on April 10. The crackdown has caused deadly clashes to kill 24 and wounded more than 800. (Photo by Lee Yu Kyung)

At one point I was overcome with tear gas. Red shirts took off my helmet and I never saw it again. They washed the tear gas off my face. I and 2 friends were now isolated and did not know where to go. We tried staying put but it got too dangerous, so we started moving about and got lost. After 3 hours, we met a policeman in the middle of the night who told us where our unit was.

We got about 3 hours sleep and were transported back to camp the following afternoon. Of the 50 who had gone out, only about 20 remained. Some must be in hospital with injuries, and probably many just ran for their lives.

We have decided, among the draftees, that we will not go out on missions like this. The officers say this too. We have been told by the commanding officer that we will not be asked to go out again.

courtesy : Prachatai

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s